Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Phone Problem

As a result of leaving my cell phone charger in Lancaster I have been without a phone for the last week. This brought up an interesting question. If something were to happen to my phone in the next year, would I be able to buy a replacement? Being hopelessly attached to the evil little thing, this quarry has sent me all over the internet for the last few days, desperately trying to find a phone that wasn't produced or constructed in China.

The results have not been pretty so far. So far I have found that Blackberry, LG, Samsung and Motorola all produce phones in China. I have e-mails in to Nokia and HTC, but the little information I've found on their production doesn't leave me hopeful.

Interestingly enough, the iPhone is made of parts produced in Japan and Taiwan, but those parts are then shipped to China to be assembled and packaged. Ah well, just another reason not to jump on the wagon.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for HTC, a Taiwanese company, because they make Google's new Nexus One.

Chances are I'll be using the same phone for the next year, but that may not be a bad thing. With me going back to school and Heidi's debt to pay off I probably shouldn't be spending money on a new phone anyway.

On a related note, if you find any cool "Not Made in China" products or spot things I should avoid, drop me a note. It;d be a big help.

No comments:

Post a Comment